Thursday, April 30, 2009

Forum Posters

The other day I googled conductor's stick to figure out the proper name for such a tool.  I was trying to use it in a creative writing piece I was working on but that is beyond the scope and purpose of this post.  The google results took me to answers.yahoo.com where I found someone else had the exact same question and made a forum so people could post their answers.  Her results that included "ur mom," "the magical music stick," and ultimately the correct answer, "baton," really got me thinking about forums.  

Forums are really handy places to find answers, although sometimes unreliable, to pretty much any question you could have.  I found a lot of helpful forums on dpreview.com since I've been searching for a new camera.  These forum posters seem to be a hybrid of expert advice and novice product reviews.  However, the dpreview forums and other niche forums like apple support are full of great advice because there are bona fide experts replying to user threads.  However, others, like the forum I found at yahoo about batons are curious to me.  How does one go about answering a random forum question on a non-niche sight like yahoo?  It seems some people just have that unquenchable desire to answer questions.  Others seemingly like to make up answers out of poor attempt at humor.  This brings me to my next oddity: when the answer has obviously been posted on the thread already, why are there an additional 10 to 15 responses that have the same exact answer?  I generally go to forums to get a quick answer.  But it is apparent that some people waste a lot of time replying and browsing forums.  They are odd things, but I can't hate on the few weird people who make weird posts when you can pretty much find answers to every question you can imagine.  You just have to sift through the knowledgeable and unknowledgeable people to find what you're looking for.

Another thing, don't let this here post deter you from replying to my posts... of course I am referring to anonymous replies and not the replies of friend-to-friend blog perusing.  Don't be shy... Mike... Krista (its so easy to micromanage your blog when you only have two people replying to it... hahaha) 

p.s. I'm sure you looked great in puka shells.

No comments:

Post a Comment