Thursday, April 16, 2009

Acid Tongue

Coachella is this weekend.  In light of this fact, I've been trying to listen to more artists that I will be seeing there, one of which being Jenny Lewis.  I actually saw her for the first time at my first music festival experience (Austin City Limits) back in September.  I hadn't listened to any of her solo stuff (which conveniently includes Johnathan Rice) before then, but I really enjoyed her set.  Despite this, I didn't actually get her CD Acid Tongue until yesterday (I admit I burned it from a friend... Sorry Jenny).  

I listened to track 5, "Acid Tongue," around 15 times today (granted, I put in a 7 hour shift behind the OSD van today) and its amazing.  I'm still not sick of it.  I remember loving it when I first heard it live in Austin.  Its so simple!  One guitar played by Jenny, with her male band providing vocal harmony.  It was just that in Austin; Jenny Lewis on a stool and her guys surrounding her.  It was legit.  

The song is just flat out beautiful but I think its more appealing because I can imagine the live performance, and it makes me think of that trip.  After the song was finished, Jenny cried.  Not sobs, but just a few streaks down her cheeks, and concluded by raising her heineken to the crowd.  I really appreciate musicians who can pour that much into a song.  I'm done blabbing... just listen-

No comments:

Post a Comment