Monday, April 20, 2009

Coachella 2009

Coachella was this last weekend.  I wasn't able to cowboy up to buy the three day pass for the full weekend, but Saturday was really amazing in itself.  I was really impressed with the venue.  Coachella, CA, a little desert town just east of palm springs can throw a serious music festival.  I was pleasantly surprised at the lush green grass that covered the entire venue.  I was expecting dead dry grass (like in Austin which wreaked havoc on my sinuses), but my feet were totally content to be with out any sole the entire day.  
The other thing that I was impressed by were the art exhibits.  The layout of the music and art was really great.  I was sort of expecting a grassy vacuum between each stage, but there were all kinds of interesting large scale art pieces that made a cruise around the fields about more than just music.  When the sun went down, most of the pieces had lighting installations that were a sight to see.




Obviously though, Coachella was about the music!  I was fortunate to see Blitzen Trapper, Dr. Dog, Jenny Lewis, Fleet Foxes, Band of Horses, Calexico, and others in passing.  I have to say that Band of Horses easily put on the best show.  All the music was great, but their set really impressed me.  Everyone must see them if you get a chance, as well as listen to their song "The General Specific"!  One of my favorite aspect about seeing this band is getting to see each personality in the band that you would otherwise miss out on.  The bass player of this band was a lot of fun to watch.  I put him up there with the drummer for the Helio Sequence (Benjamin Weikel).  These guys are the backbone of the band, but they play with the enthusiasm of a frontman.  I think its easy for percussion and bass to get lost on stage, hiding in the shadows, providing the necessary rhythm and beats for the vocals and guitars.  These guys though really make their presence felt on the stage and I enjoy the music that much more.  Swaying hips and bent knees, contorted facial expressions, and an energy that feeds off each member of the band-thats what being in a band is all about-being so into the music you're playing that dreamers like me can not just hear it, but see it and feel it.  I dig it. 




1 comment:

  1. yeah man i loved that at the beginning when he was acting like he was playing some gnarly guitar solo!

    ReplyDelete