Thursday, May 21, 2009

Easy buttonation

I was listening to the radio the other day and I heard a commercial that said, “does your child suffer from lack of concentration, short attention span, or is unable to sit still?”  It was a commercial advertising for a clinical trial of some sort for ADHD, or what I like to call just being a childitus.  Other tragic symptoms not mentioned are: excessive energy, nose picking, and giggling. 

 Now I’m not saying that ADD/ADHD (whatever the differences is besides the “H”) doesn’t necessarily exist (although I admit I might just be saying this because I work for a branch of UCLA that provides services for students with ADD/ADHD and I need to cover my bases) but I think there is a severe over-diagnosis of the condition or syndrome or whatever you want to call it.  Not only is it being over diagnosed but doctors too readily "fix" the problem with prescription drugs like Adderall.  The drug apparently helps such inflicted students to focus yet at what cost?  I have friends who have and haven't been diagnosed with ADHD, some who are getting the pill from friends and some from doctors in order to get through their college classes.  Sure, I've heard it helps with focusing, yet some of these friends admit to having a serious dependency on it.  They can't function like they USED TO off of it without being ON it.  Some of my friends have gone through withdrawal symptoms like dizziness and shaking.  Another friend, who I actually believe has ADHD, takes medication for it but it renders him a zombie.  He has borderline depression.  Is this really the best solution doctors can come up with?  I think trouble focusing and hyper activity is best relinquished with exercise.  Could there be a correlation between ADHD diagnoses and hours of video or television played per week in a child?  Possibly... I think this is worth looking into.  Let us also not forgot how much money media/television and pharmaceutical companies make per year and how this plays a role in the big picture.  I'm not suggesting conspiracies, I'm only putting forth my own observations on the subject.  I honestly feel like a healthy dose of blood flow in today's youth would do the ADHD epidemic a lot of good.  I'm a little tired of society's trigger happy fingers that press away at the EASY button.  Driving north on the 405 you know your are approaching LA by the number of lap band billboards you see per 5 miles.  By the time you reach LA, you see one seriously every two minutes.  One like the following:


I don't think I really have to say much more on the subject.  EASY button bad.  Exercise and hard work good.

On another and possibly self aggrandizing note I just registered for the Long Beach Half Marathon in October.  Any takers?  I wanted to go for the marathon but I thought I better get a halfy under my belt so I don't die at mile 18.


1 comment:

  1. that billboard is my biggest "L.A. pet peeve"
    Thanks for posting it and showing others just how ridiculous it is!

    ReplyDelete