Monday, June 1, 2009

blogging hodgepodge

Wow, I have really been letting my readers down lately.  Blogging really does take dedication.  I have been spending less time blogging, and more time making lists of things to blog later.  I have thought about getting a twitter account in light of Mr. Mitchell's new activity, but I am very hesitant.  Part of me agrees with him; it is in a sense a quickie blog, a convenient substitute when time is at a premium.  I guess for me, a twitter wouldn't be about what I'm doing, but more about what I am pondering or thinking.  I don't want people to know what I'm doing all the time.  
I think its weird when people start broadcasting their every moment to the world and I feel like most often people use it to try and garner some sort of sympathy from their friends.  The "I have the longest day ever," "when is summer going to finally be here," or "I hate finals" seem to be featured statements right now (on facebook status reports anyway).  I don't care about staying up to date with friends (or even non-friends) recent gripes and complaints.  
Maybe I feel like a blog post reaches a deeper level in a way, and I'm not sure if I want to sacrifice that for convenience and speed.  I also considered joining twitter out of necessity.  Not because I HAVE to stay connected with people but because I do feel like twitter is going to go places and I guess I feel like I don't want to get left behind in a way.  It could evolve into something better that I could be more behind.  Like a music twitter of sorts.  Where a twitter like application taps into your iTunes media player and displays to your friends what song you are currently listening to when you are logged in.  I feel like this would be a cool thing.  I am always wondering what people are listening to when I see ear budded students walking to and from class.  It would be the closest thing to everybody trading in their earbuds for juke boxes and connecting out loud through music.  Part of me also thinks that twitter could evolve drastically financially and I don't want to let a golden opportunity slip through my fingers.  
This stems from a recent surge of interest in stocks and the money market.  I guess with graduation around the corner, I've snapped into money mode.  I don't mean that I am out to get as much money as I can, I'm going to be a teach for pete's sake.  I just mean that I want to take control of my finances and I'm going to really need to be smart and knowledgeable of money markets and investing, especially if I'm going to be a teacher who doesn't want to retire at 70, but wants to travel and explore the world on his summers off.  So, essentially, I've been trying to keep a watchful eye on companies that I think could go huge.  Twitter isn't a publicly traded company but I want to see what they do in the next couple of years.  For now though, I don't see myself using twitter or staying up with it or using it to follow my friends... at least until otherwise convinced.
As for a final topic of discussion, I guess I will update you all with the current game plan after graduation.  Briefly: graduate, summer at camp with middle schoolers, take the CBEST August 8th, attempt to get a substitute teaching job or at least a volunteer job in the very least to get my feet wet.  Side job for extra income (anything really, hopefully some freelance writing) Do that for a year and move to bay area and get credentialed at SFSU.  Research master's programs, but a definite goal before or right after I started a teaching job.

Okay, that was an exhaustive comeback party to my blogging world.  I will most likely come back to some of these issues and have more organized thoughts in my next entry... which will be SOON!

No comments:

Post a Comment